Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Post office action

Through the adoption process, I sure have learned a lot and had a variety of new experiences. Back in the day, for example, I used to go to the post office to mail a letter or buy some stamps. Yesterday, I mailed one letter (for 44 cents!), sent photo albums for Alexa A and Liana B to our agency in Massachusetts that will ultimately end up in Ethiopia, and sent a copy of our updated home study to our case worker at our agency...the latter two with delivery confirmation, of course! Then (and here comes the scary part) I sent our ACTUAL PASSPORTS that we NEED to travel in a little old Express Mail envelope to the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington, D.C., along with our visa applications. (Yep, I did find my passport...in a laundry basket.) I had to enclose a return Express Mail envelope so the fine people at the Embassy could send them back, once stamped with multiple entry two year visas for Ethiopia.

What's that make me think? First of all, it amazes me that an envelope I am holding in my hand at 5 p.m. on a Monday in Illinois will be on someone's desk in D.C. before noon on Tuesday. Second, I can really build up a ginormous bill at the post office in a hurry. Finally, and most importantly, I am struck by how many people have helped us along through this process, right down to the lady at the post office. Amazing!

1 comment:

InventingLiz said...

I would be (will be!) terrified to put my passport in the mail, but everyone says it works out fine!

I was most suprised by what a pleasant experience I had at police headquarters, of all places, when I went to get the letter of good conduct - everyone from the cop running the metal detector at the front door to the lady at the desk who generated the letter and then called someone from a different floor to notarize it for me, it was not at all what I was expecting from a visit to a police station!